N90559 - NJ - Glen de Vries accident 11/2021

Ben E.

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Ben E.
I haven't heard anything about this crash since it happened. I looked up the NTSB report and see that they indicate the probable cause as "The flight instructor’s failure to recover from a steep spiral turn during an instructional flight." The docket linked in the attached report includes a video of the plane spiraling to the ground. The docket makes it sound like they were practicing power off stalls and/or descending spirals. What do you guys think happened and why would the veteran flight instructor not be able to recover?

Attachments

• Report_ERA22FA058_104237_5_20_2024 12_48_16 PM.pdf
    778.9 KB · Views: 44
Sounds like a power off stall gone wrong?

"airspeed began to decrease due to an engine power reduction from2,400 rpm to 1,300 rpm. The airplane began to pitch nose up, ultimately reaching a maximum pitch attitude of about 37° as the airspeed slowed to 28 knots indicated."

It’s just crazy to me that a CFI with 30+ years of experience and an excellent reputation (he was based at my field), couldn’t recover from a spiral or spin from 6000’ AGL. Makes you wonder how lesser CFIs and students survive.

maybe the student panicked and was fighting him

maybe the student panicked and was fighting him
It's possible, but he was a commercial student, so not new to the maneuvers. And the student (Glen de Vries) had recently gone into outer space with William Shatner, so he likely wasn't scared by the maneuvers.

On a somber note... @Ben E. , unfortunately, far too often we are left without any definite answers as to the cause of small plane crashes. I recently lost a colleague to such a circumstance.

I think a seasoned CFI with a reasonably competent pilot might have let the spin develop for just a little too long until it was unrecoverable.

Back