ADHD+THC

• Thread starter Mom of hopeful pilot
  • Start date
In addition, I personally don't see a big difference between "gardening" on an evening when you aren't flying as being much different than having several drinks on that same evening.

I've never heard the term "gardening" used for getting high on weed. Is that kinda like using "rebalancing the bonus" instead of embezzlement?

BTW ... one is legal, the other (by federal standards) is not ...

Which does raise the question of why mom is posting here and not the son.
Mom's been involved in his psych testing, and she probably has a financial stake somewhere. But flying an airplane is an adult activity, requires adult decisions, and has adult consequences. The son needs to mature and be an adult about this on his own. I don't know if he's been asking questions elsewhere, but at least now mom has done enough due diligence to be able to know when it's time for her to step back and let him take responsibility for his actions and his future.

No doubt inspired to fly but what an amazing job mommy does in her helicopter.

Seriously- your son is an adult, or nearly so. Try butting out and see if he doesn’t start acting more like a man.

I've never heard the term "gardening" used for getting high on weed. Is that kinda like using "rebalancing the bonus" instead of embezzlement?

BTW ... one is legal, the other (by federal standards) is not ...
I just thought that's what kids called it now. Wasn't trying to be flippant and wasn't sure if it was ok to use other words on here.

Mom's been involved in his psych testing, and she probably has a financial stake somewhere. But flying an airplane is an adult activity, requires adult decisions, and has adult consequences. The son needs to mature and be an adult about this on his own. I don't know if he's been asking questions elsewhere, but at least now mom has done enough due diligence to be able to know when it's time for her to step back and let him take responsibility for his actions and his future.

Maybe she's hoping he can get a job and get out of the basement ...

Mom may be in the basement with him the way she talks about gardening. Feel bad for her. She’s been sold the same lie about how harmless weed is. So many people baked 24/7. It’s sad.
I'm truly amazed at how often I'm driving somewhere (for instance to work at 7 AM) and smell someone blatantly smoking weed while driving. It is ridiculous. Honestly, if someone (not a pilot) wants to get stoned at home, fine. I don't really care. But driving down the road? YGBSM.

I'm truly amazed at how often I'm driving somewhere (for instance to work at 7 AM) and smell someone blatantly smoking weed while driving. It is ridiculous. Honestly, if someone (not a pilot) wants to get stoned at home, fine. I don't really care. But driving down the road? YGBSM.

Seems that not only is common sense not so common anymore, responsibility is on a ventilator ... :rolleyes:

I had no idea a pilot could not have a couple of drinks on an evening when he/she isn't flying.
They can, as long as it's 8 hours prior. The rule is often expressed as, "8 hours from the bottle to the throttle" (I think it may be 24 hours for airline pilots?). Half of the pilots I know have a beer fridge in their hangars, ONLY opened after all flying is done for the day.

Realistically, smoking a joint on a Friday night before flying on Saturday morning is no more dangerous than doing the same with two or three drinks-- and probably a lot less dangerous than doing the same with five or six or more drinks, which while stupid is perfectly legal-- but unfortunately for your son, the FAA doesn't see it that way. They make the rules, so one has to play the game by those rules, or you can't play at all.

This "COVID symptoms" nonsense illustrates my biggest problem with the turn our society has made towards widespread legalization.

I don't like it, but we live in a democracy, and if the majority of people want it to be legal, so be it.

But all this pseudo medical nonsense has got to stop. We are allowing major corporations to open "clinics" with big green crosses and dispense a chemical substance as treatment for a variety of conditions without a shred of medical evidence.

If Pfizer wanted to sell it, we would require decades of peer-reviewed blind trials. But because it's Harrah's and Seagram, sure Ok maybe it cures COVID.

Perhaps not. He showed up high for his COGSCREEN.

Yeah, good point. The OP could be read that way.

As mentioned above, the perception that marijuana is therapeutic for ADHD is growing in popularity. For example, a 2016 qualitative analysis of online discussions around cannabis use and ADHD confirmed this trend, finding that overall online discussions indicated that cannabis is considered therapeutic for ADHD.
Still, while this view may be gaining popularity over the internet, there is little clinical support for these claims. Research has shown that marijuana use is connected to worse executive function and greater IQ deficits. In addition, a 2019 medical review of 83 studies on the matter found that there was insufficient evidence on the effectiveness of cannabis in treating mental health conditions, including ADHD.

Would he have passed without pot? Maybe, maybe not.

Too late now. He'll have to have two years clean (and documented), then try again. He should have known better; guess maybe he just didn't pay attention....

This "COVID symptoms" nonsense illustrates my biggest problem with the turn our society has made towards widespread legalization.

I don't like it, but we live in a democracy, and if the majority of people want it to be legal, so be it.

But all this pseudo medical nonsense has to stop. We are allowing major corporations to open "clinics" with big green crosses and dispense a chemical substance as treatment for a variety of conditions without a shred of medical evidence.

If Pfizer wanted to sell it, we would require decades of blind peer-reviewed tests. But because it's Harrah's and Seagram, sure Ok maybe it cures COVID.

All true, but we're crossed up between state and federal.

The people who would require Pfizer to have "...decades of blind peer-reviewed tests" are the feds (FDA, specifically), and to the feds it's an illegal street drug and has been for decades. From their standpoint, they've already regulated marijuana and there's nothing more that needs to be done.

Some of the states have eliminated state prohibitions, but the states do not test and regulate drugs. That's a fed job.

Until the federal government actually does its job and either enforces existing laws or begins to treat marijuana as a medicine (trials and control groups and so on), the nonsense you describe will continue.

The hazards of mairjuana use, especially in the young are being explored, and the findings are not good. There is big money in big marijuana and they are infusing millions into trying to convince society that this all natural (genetically enhanced, chemically concentrated, extremely complex herbal compound) is safe, effective and cures all ailments. And at the same time trying to suppress studies and knowledge to the contrary. Of course they have their eyes on the recreational usage market which is where the money is. But our kids are being duped by the same BS. Like any chemical, it has benefit in some applications, but everything that works has side effects. Even too much water can kill you. The paper Cited above uses a lot of big shiny scientific words, but is basically an essay on metabolic pathways at the experimental level, with very few significant clinical studies Outside of seizure suppression of merit. Also published in a journal that I have never heard of. This was not the New England Journal of Medicine or British Medical Journal for sure. Sorry to hear about the OP’s dilemma, but the best long term result is to get some real medical help, and not go down the path of mind altering substances. (As I type next to my large cup of coffee ;-))

I always found it hypocritical they used the boogy man of “big pharma” to fight against to get it more mainstream, yet use the exact same tactics now of those they rallied against

I had no idea a pilot could not have a couple of drinks on an evening when he/she isn't flying.

There is no restriction on a pilot that hasn’t had a medical deferral. If deferred there may be conditions to maintain.

There’s well known anecdotes about pilots binge drinking between shifts. I share the comic below just to inject some humor (and I’m certain some of the ladies and gentlemen on this forum would be a little more polite, if still very direct, if in person with you vs online).

:biggrin: Yeah, good point. The OP could be read that way.

As mentioned above, the perception that marijuana is therapeutic for ADHD is growing in popularity. For example, a 2016 qualitative analysis of online discussions around cannabis use and ADHD confirmed this trend, finding that overall online discussions indicated that cannabis is considered therapeutic for ADHD.
Still, while this view may be gaining popularity over the internet, there is little clinical support for these claims. Research has shown that marijuana use is connected to worse executive function and greater IQ deficits. In addition, a 2019 medical review of 83 studies on the matter found that there was insufficient evidence on the effectiveness of cannabis in treating mental health conditions, including ADHD.

Would he have passed without pot? Maybe, maybe not.

Too late now. He'll have to have two years clean (and documented), then try again. He should have known better; guess maybe he just didn't pay attention....
I typically agree with most all of your positions but citing ‘verywellmind.com’s analysis of online discussions concerning therapeutic anectdotal reports in regards to marijuana????? What have you been smoking? ;)

Research? Really!!! I would have liked to have seen the faces of my dissertation committee members if I would have cited such a reputable peer reviewed source such as that at my doctoral defense. Then again, my major professor did come to my program by way oF the University of Portland. :biggrin:

The NIH doesn't seem to think that the potential benefits for Covid-19 treatment are "invented." :dunno:

Without trying to enter the fray on anything else here, I just want to point out that this is not "the NIH thinks". This NIH website indexes many many life science journals, and the articles here are not written or endorsed by the NIH. This particular article was written by researchers in Brazil and Chile, and published in Life, an online, rapid publication, open access journal with an impact factor of 3.2.

All true, but we're crossed up between state and federal.

The people who would require Pfizer to have "...decades of blind peer-reviewed tests" are the feds (FDA, specifically), and to the feds it's an illegal street drug and has been for decades. From their standpoint, they've already regulated marijuana and there's nothing more that needs to be done.

Some of the states have eliminated state prohibitions, but the states do not test and regulate drugs. That's a fed job.

Until the federal government actually does its job and either enforces existing laws or begins to treat marijuana as a medicine (trials and control groups and so on), the nonsense you describe will continue.
I would argue they are enforcing it. The FAA doesnt allow it. You cant fly through airports with it. They dont allow it to cross state lines. I believe the military (federal) still bans it. Now what you are arguing is whether the federal statutes should be enforced within the state - thats an entirely different matter as the states have come out and made certain things within it legal (though you cant grow extensive amounts or transport large amounts). That does bring up an interesting conundrum of state law potentially trumping federal and that point is conceded. But they are "enforcing" its ban by doing exactly that. Just because people are ignorant doesnt make it a valid excuse.

The issue is that once you've had any sort of brush with illegal drug use, the FAA considers you to have a substance abuse problem. Thus, the first hurdle to pass is going to be a significant period of time during which you must undergo regular testing with no positive results, and have a physician attest that you are "clean" and "recovered". That may get you the initial med cert. Once you get the cert, you will continue to be tested randomly to prove that you have not relapsed. It is this ongoing testing that requires that you not drink or use any other prohibited drugs ever again.

Pilots who have never failed a drug test, received a DUI, or otherwise had any sort of documented problem with substance abuse are free to drink within the limits of the questions asked on the MedExpress form, as long as they abide by the applicable rules. These are 8 hours/.04 bac, or the local laws in any other nation that you are flying in, whichever is stricter.

It's not a joke. See this link for a pilot who made a serious error in judgement recently and is now doing time in a Scottish prison as a result:

I typically agree with most all of your positions but citing ‘verywellmind.com’s analysis of online discussions concerning therapeutic anectdotal reports in regards to marijuana????? What have you been smoking? ;)

Research? Really!!! I would have liked to have seen the faces of my dissertation committee members if I would have cited such a reputable peer reviewed source such as that at my doctoral defense. Then again, my major professor did come to my program by way oF the University of Portland. :biggrin:

LOL! I wasn’t trying to do research; merely showing that some people believe that pot helps ADHD symptoms. I’d bet that’s why the son was smoking it prior to his test.

I would argue they are enforcing it.

Sorta. You have valid points, but the enforcement seems a bit uneven. The feds will bust someone for cooking moonshine, but not a corporation operating a state-blessed pot farm or dispensary.

Of course, moonshining is a tax matter......

He was not aware that he would be tested for anything besides ADHD meds after the psych testing. Had he known that, I am certain he would not have taken anything at all. In addition, I personally don't see a big difference between "gardening" on an evening when you aren't flying as being much different than having several drinks on that same evening. As long as there is enough time between the effects of both to be worn off prior to flying. He doesn't plan to fly while impaired. Also his original application was submitted last year prior to the drug usage. Appreciate the feedback from those who were honestly trying to help.
This response explains why the kid behaves the way he does.

I had no idea a pilot could not have a couple of drinks on an evening when he/she isn't flying. I also am not trying to foster an anti-authority attitude in him. He doesn't even know I'm on here asking these questions. I appreciate those of you who were honestly trying to give me helpful info rather than bash me for not knowing how it all works.
A pilot can have a couple of drinks when they’re not flying. That’s legal. Marijuana use is not. It astounds me that an adult would need someone to explain that to you. Your answer on that point is absolutely anti-authority. You can think it’s ridiculous but if you’re not one for following rules (and you and your son are clearly not), this is the wrong career path for him. Nobody is trying to bash you, it’s just obvious that you don’t really have any intention of understanding.

Back