Singapore B777 (Flight SQ321) PAX Killed in Turbulence

This is why they always instruct you to keep your seatbelt on while seated on an airliner. But like all the other safety instructions on airliners, no one listens.

This is why they always instruct you to keep your seatbelt on while seated on an airliner. But like all the other safety instructions on airliners, no one listens.
Yup. Even if people would leave them buckled but loosen the strap a bit they'd forget it was even fastened. It'd be enough to hold you down in the seat and get it tightened fairly quickly. I believe the deceased in this incident was 77yrs old or so, so likely less robust to be able to withstand blunt force trauma.

Person died from heart attack it says.

Question:
Carrier stated the aircraft lost 6k feet in two minutes. Seems a 3,000 fpm planned descent wouldn't have produced this outcome. So assuming it was abrupt wind shear, this couldn't have been overcome after the initial slingshot that put heads through the overhead bins? Or was it intentional to continue the steep descent to get clear of the area?

Can any of you commercial guys elaborate on how this likely may have gone down?

I can't magine the stresses produced on the aircraft- made me think of a video I've seen where they push the wingtips up with hydraulic pistons to an unbelievable angle, looked like a bird flapping it's wings. Despite all the negative press about Boeing of late- this one passed a real stress test

Last edited:
Juan has a video out now, with a commercial pilot's viewpoint -- he flies 777's if I'm not mistaken. He doesn't come out and say it, but the suggestion is that this could have been avoided by the pilots.

Simple physics suggests that to slam someone into the ceiling, the a/c must accelerate downwards at a rate faster than gravity (32 ft/sec/sec). Doing this at the rate of gravity would make people float. Perhaps in this case it was at least twice this or more -- then it would be like falling from the floor to the ceiling in an upside-down aircraft.

The acceleration only need be maintained long enough for folks to "fall" from floor to ceiling...no more than 8ft (less probably). That would only take 1/4 second. The point I'm trying to make here is that the sudden downwards "jolt" can be very short in duration and need not in itself result in a huge vertical drop during that time. The time between ADS-B pings is long enough that this would not necessarily be revealed in the data.

It could also be a person could float up, but slam down. Doing so could lead to a broken neck and death

Back