What have I done? Crazy old woman musings

judypilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Judy Parrish
A few months ago, I started taking guitar lessons. I'm 73 years old.

Why, you ask? Well, when I was a kid, I took piano lessons for 10+ years and then I picked up guitar and became sort of a campfire guitarist. I got bored and dropped both. But I love music. I always envied people who could sit down with an instrument and start playing (seemingly) immediately and assumed I actually had no talent (even though I was a actually a pretty good pianist). Many, many years later I realized that the problem was I had never been taught properly. I was taught to sight read (and campfire guitar is about the same thing, just reading chords) but never learned anything about MUSIC. I wanted to learn music properly, but never seemed to find the time, even after I retired (I should say "retired" because I still do research, just don't teach).

Then a friend, whose husband is a guitarist, was selling a guitar and I decided I'd buy it and start taking lessons. Found a fabulous teacher and I'm learning tons about music that I never really knew (maybe subconsciously, but that's it). One of the things my teacher had me do was compile a list of songs I'd really like to learn someday. I've learned one, but some of them are going to be a stretch (I'd love to be able to play "Riviera Paradise" by Stevie Ray Vaughn). But as I learn more and more I'm starting to feel a bit overwhelmed. Am I too old for this?, I ask myself on a regular basis. Not that I'm not mentally capable--I've been like a sponge--but there is SO much to learn and I ain't gettin' any younger. The fact that guitarists I admire probably played for 20 years before they became admirable is scary--I don't HAVE 20 years (my parents lived to 92). I'm also worried that barre chords are already a challenge, and as I continue to age, they aren't going to get any easier, I'm sure (they require a lot of hand strength and agility).

Thoughts? Especially from guitarists.

If you know music you can always "cheat" and use alternate tunings if certain chords are an issue. I just picked up guitar a few years ago. I tried to self teach, but getting a teacher opened up a huge world of difference. Just a couple things like hand and or neck position made certain things much more attainable.

Just practice and practice correctly. I know Riviera Paradise (the song, haven't learned it), and that's definitely attainable.

Oh yeah, couldn't do it without the teacher. Teaching myself is how I worked my way into boredom corner. But I don't think different tunings would help with the barre chords issue. They're so versatile I'm sure they're necessary no matter what, especially in songs that have key changes. I am "getting" them, but my question really is, how long can I maintain the hand strength. On the other hand, there are guitarists in their 90s, so maybe I'm being too pessimistic.

Barre chords are more technique than strength. If you’re not doing this already, roll your index finger so that the flat side of the finger is pressing down on the strings rather than the fleshy bottom.

Also, buy this book. https://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Handb...MIw6WivNvKhQMVnZ9aBR2MCwlhEAQYASABEgIuqvD_BwE
My copy is literally falling apart, I’ve used it so much.

Another trick for hands: tune the guitar down a whole step, then put a capo on the second fret. That moves your forearm forward a few inches, giving less of a stretch, and also lets you play where the frets are closer. As you develop dexterity and technique you can go back to omitting the capo, but in learning phases it can make things easier.

:) That's not crazy at all. It's awesome. You were practical enough to pick a career that let you pickup flying along the way, and retire if you want to. Now it's time to have some fun.

Only young people in this are the 2 backup singers, and it's not just good:

It's all about having fun.

There are short cuts to bar chords. If you can't do a full bar, just select a simplified version and move on. Don't let the inability to get a full bar chord hold up your progress.

This is coming from a guy that's "played" (usung yhe term loosely) the guitar for 30 years and still doesn't understand the first thing about music. I think I need to do what you are doing and get a teacher.

Keep moving forward and have fun. Their truly is no end goal here. Enjoy the learning. Enjoy your progress, even if it is slow at times!

Music is a great tool to keep the gray matter engaged in learning. A friend that had a TBI a few years ago was greatly helped in therapy by music as it strengthened their recall by listening to songs that they had known and enjoyed.

Glen Campbell (a fantastic guitarist) had Alzheimer's disease before his passing a few years ago. It was amazing that of the many things that began to get away from him the music seemed to stay with him to the very end. A doctor once told me that the performance of music was the one thing that activates just about the entire brain at the same time. True or not? I don't know but he was a therapist with a bit more education than I have.

All that to say, go for it and take it as it comes. ;)

Music is a great tool to keep the gray matter engaged in learning. A friend that had a TBI a few years ago was greatly helped in therapy by music as it strengthened their recall by listening to songs that they had known and enjoyed.

Glen Campbell (a fantastic guitarist) had Alzheimer's disease before his passing a few years ago. It was amazing that of the many things that began to get away from him the music seemed to stay with him to the very end. A doctor once told me that the performance of music was the one thing that activates just about the entire brain at the same time. True or not? I don't know but he was a therapist with a bit more education than I have.

Same for Tony Bennett….family and friends pointed out that he wouldn’t remember some one he met 5 min ago but once on stage, every word in the song was perfect. Lots of studies that music does magical things to the brain.

Bar chords will get easier with practice, barring (see what I did there) physical problems like arthritis. Muscle memory (through practice) is more important than muscle strength.

Those younger people that have been playing for 20 years spent much of that time learning who they are and what they like and developing their own style. You already know who you are and what you like, and unless you plan make music a career, you don't need to develop your own style. Go ahead and steal other's styles.

Go for it. I wish I never dropped it and I am envious of you.

I am totally in awe that you are even going for it!
We need more heroes like you, still learning, stretching, getting on the escalator at 73.

Barre chords are more technique than strength. If you’re not doing this already, roll your index finger so that the flat side of the finger is pressing down on the strings rather than the fleshy bottom.

Also, buy this book. https://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Handb...MIw6WivNvKhQMVnZ9aBR2MCwlhEAQYASABEgIuqvD_BwE
My copy is literally falling apart, I’ve used it so much.

Another trick for hands: tune the guitar down a whole step, then put a capo on the second fret. That moves your forearm forward a few inches, giving less of a stretch, and also lets you play where the frets are closer. As you develop dexterity and technique you can go back to omitting the capo, but in learning phases it can make things easier.
Oh yes, I've been schooled intensely on how to do barre chords. The problem is, my fingers don't HAVE a hard side. Actually I am slowly getting it. I got F7 consistently yesterday, which has to be one of the hardest ones because it's right next to the nut.

There is an amazing video of Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett, who also died of Alzheimers, in which Bennett looks and sounds like himself, performing with joy and clarity. Once the show was over, he didn't even remember it happening (I think this aired on "60 Minutes"). Brought tears to my eyes.

Bar chords will get easier with practice, barring (see what I did there) physical problems like arthritis. Muscle memory (through practice) is more important than muscle strength.

Those younger people that have been playing for 20 years spent much of that time learning who they are and what they like and developing their own style. You already know who you are and what you like, and unless you plan make music a career, you don't need to develop your own style. Go ahead and steal other's styles.

Go for it. I wish I never dropped it and I am envious of you.
You could always take it up again!

I am totally in awe that you are even going for it!
We need more heroes like you, still learning, stretching, getting on the escalator at 73.
Not a hero. Just someone who is easily bored and always looking for something new to do. :cool::rofl:

Not with my hearing. I'm trying to get scheduled for a cochlear implant soon. And I'm only 71.75
Ah, yes, that could be an issue. I have to put my hearing aids in before practicing and taking my lessons.

Well, thank you to everyone for the encouragement and especially for the reminder that learning something--anything--new at my age can only be a good thing. I was just reading an article about Alzheimer's (my grandfather had it) and it stressed keeping the old noodle active can make a big difference. I'm not totally 100% convinced because my mom was incredibly active and still ended up with dementia, although it was a different kind (vascular, not Alzheimer's).

Congratulations Judy for finding another thing to do in "Later Life". Besides flying and assorted other diversions, I decided to start assembling an airplane at 82 as well as taking Spanish Lessons. Keeping active has served me well and God Willing and the Creek Don't Rise, I'll fly the new plane to Rough River next year.

You should come to RR next year and lead us in song.

Oh yes, I've been schooled intensely on how to do barre chords. The problem is, my fingers don't HAVE a hard side. Actually I am slowly getting it. I got F7 consistently yesterday, which has to be one of the hardest ones because it's right next to the nut.

You can always use my half-fast technique for electric guitar: root + fifth + (lots of distortion) = any silly chord you'd like.

There is an amazing video of Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett, who also died of Alzheimers, in which Bennett looks and sounds like himself, performing with joy and clarity. Once the show was over, he didn't even remember it happening (I think this aired on "60 Minutes"). Brought tears to my eyes.
The entire concert was broadcast Nov 2021 on PBS. Available on Paramount+ and other places.

Awesome Judy. Sounds like something fun to keep you busy. Keep at it.

I've always wondered how well my 35 years of cello playing would convert to guitar playing. I'd love to be playing some SRV stuff too.

Oh yeah, couldn't do it without the teacher. Teaching myself is how I worked my way into boredom corner. But I don't think different tunings would help with the barre chords issue. They're so versatile I'm sure they're necessary no matter what, especially in songs that have key changes. I am "getting" them, but my question really is, how long can I maintain the hand strength. On the other hand, there are guitarists in their 90s, so maybe I'm being too pessimistic.
There are other things to consider…WHY are you doing this? If the sole purpose was to be a professional guitarist, and that would take 20 years, I’d say forget it. ;)

But it sounds like it’s more about an activity that gives you enjoyment, so as long as it’s doing that, keep enjoying it. When you aren’t strong enough to do chords, pick up a slide.

Awesome Judy. Sounds like something fun to keep you busy. Keep at it.

I've always wondered how well my 35 years of cello playing would convert to guitar playing. I'd love to be playing some SRV stuff too.
probably make it harder not easier. For me guitar makes no sense at all.

probably make it harder not easier. For me guitar makes no sense at all.
I definitely don't speak chords. And I know this means nothing, but I used to kick butt on Rock Band for the Wii because of the cello. But that's a video game.

Back